Famous Like Me > Actor > D > Tony Danza
From Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia
Profile of Tony Danza
on Famous Like Me
|Also Know As:
|Date of Birth:
||21st April 1951
|Place of Birth:
||Brooklyn, New York, USA
Tony Danza (born April 21, 1951) is an American actor and former boxer.
Tony Danza was born Anthony Salvatore Iadanza in Brooklyn, New York, the elder of 2 sons. He lived with his family in Brooklyn until they moved to Malverne, NY, when he was a teenager. Both of his parents died from cancer. He attended the University of Dubuque in Iowa on a wrestling scholarship (he majored in History). When he was 18, he got a tattoo on his upper right arm that was based on a design by the comic book artist Robert Crumb. The tattoo says "Keep on Truckin'." Danza was a boxer when he began his acting career on the TV sitcom Taxi. He married his college sweetheart in 1970 and the couple had a son, Marc (born 1971), together. Danza and his first wife divorced a few years after Marc's birth, and Danza married Tracey Robinson in the late 1980s. He has 2 daughters from his second marriage.
Danza is probably best-known for his appearances in the TV sitcoms Taxi (1978-1983) and Who's the Boss? (1984-1992).
Danza also starred in the short-lived sitcoms Hudson Street (1995) and The Tony Danza Show (1997, not to be confused with his current talk show). He had a role on the TV drama Family Law from 2000 until 2002.
He was nominated for an Emmy Award for a guest-starring 1998 role in the TV series The Practice.
His movie debut was in the comedy The Hollywood Knights (1980), which was followed by Going Ape! (1981).
He received critical acclaim for his performance in the 1999 Broadway revival of the Eugene O'Neill play The Iceman Cometh.
Danza now hosts his own TV talk show, The Tony Danza Show. On May 9, 2005, during a go-kart race with NASCAR star Rusty Wallace, who was a guest on the show, Danza's kart flipped after Wallace accidentally bumped him. Danza wasn't injured, which was miraculous, because neither Danza nor Wallace was wearing a helmet. Danza is also an Ordained Minister with the Universal Life Church and performed a marriage on his show.
- The Hollywood Knights (1980) ... Duke
- Going Ape! (1981) ... Foster
- Cannonball Run II (1984) ... Terry
- Mr. Thompson and his Bananas (1988) ... Geraldo Thompson
- She's Out of Control (1989) ... Doug Simpson
- I'm From Hollywood (1992) ... Cameo
- Angels in the Outfield (1994) (Disney) ... Mel Clark
- Illtown (1996) ... D'Avalon
- Dear God (1996) ... Himself
- Glam (1997) ... Sid
- The Girl Gets Moe (1997) (on video) ... Moe
- A Brooklyn State of Mind (1997) ... Louie Crisci
- Meet Wally Sparks (1997) ... New York Cab Driver
- Crash (2005) ... Fred
- Taxi (1978) (series) ... Tony Banta
- Murder Can Hurt You (1980) ... Pony Lambretta
- Single Bars, Single Women (1984) ... Dennis
- Who's the Boss? (1984) (series) ... Tony Micelli
- Doing Life (1986) ... Jerry Rosenberg
- Freedom Fighter (1988) ... Vic Ross
- The Whereabouts of Jenny (1991) ... Rowdy Patron
- Baby Talk (1991) (series) (voice) ... Baby Mickey Campbell
- Dead and Alive: The Race for Gus Farace (1991) ... Constible Farace
- The Mighty Jungle (1994) (series) (voice) ... Vinnie, the Alligator
- Deadly Whispers (1995) ... Tom Acton
- Hudson Street (1995) (series) ... Tony Canetti
- Sinatra: 80 Years My Way (1995) ... Cameo
- Bob Hope: Laughing with the Presidents (1996) ... Co-host
- North Shore Fish (1996) ... Sal
- 12 Angry Men (1997) ... Juror #7
- The Tony Danza Show (1997) (series) ... Tony DiMeo
- The Garbage Picking Field Goal Kicking Philadelphia Phenomenon (1998) ... Barney Gorman
- Noah (1998) ... Norman Waters
- The Practice (1999)
- Family Law (2000) ... Joe Celano
- The Tony Danza Show (2004) (talk show) ... Host
- All My Children (2005) (guest) ... Hotel Manager
This content from
Wikipedia is licensed under the
GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia article Tony Danza