Famous Like Me > Composer > G > Lisa Gerrard
From Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia
Profile of Lisa Gerrard
on Famous Like Me
|Also Know As:
|Date of Birth:
||12th April 1961
|Place of Birth:
Lisa Gerrard is an Australian musician and singer who gained international renown as part of the music group Dead Can Dance with fellow Australian Brendan Perry. Her career spans from 1981 to the present, and she has been involved in a wide range of projects. Gerrard received a Golden Globe award and an Academy Award nomination for her score to the 2000 film Gladiator.
Born April 12, 1961 in Melbourne, Lisa Gerrard grew up in the multi-ethnic suburb of East Prahran with her Irish immigrant parents, where she was exposed to Greek, Turkish, Italian, Irish and Arab cultures. Her upbringing in this diverse suburb had a large influence on her music, particularly on later Dead Can Dance albums and in her solo and collaborative work.
Dead Can Dance
Dead Can Dance originally formed as a quartet in 1981 in Melbourne, but in 1982 moved to London with members Brendan Perry and Lisa Gerrard. The band recorded eight albums on the 4AD recording label beginning with the self-titled, Dead Can Dance album.
- Dead Can Dance (1984)
- Spleen and Ideal (1985)
- Within the Realm of a Dying Sun (1987)
- The Serpent's Egg (1988)
- Aion (1990)
- Into the Labyrinth (1993)
- Toward the Within (1994)
- Spiritchaser (1996)
- A Passage in Time (1991)
- Dead Can Dance (1981-1998) (Box Set) (2001)
- Wake (2003)
- Hector Zazou's Sahara Blue (1994)
Career after Dead Can Dance
- The Mirror Pool (1995)
- Whalerider (Original Soundtrack) (2003)
- Mantras of a Lost Archetype (TBA), to be released independently.
- Duality (1998), with Pieter Bourke
- Immortal Memory (2004), with Patrick Cassidy
- With Orbital:
- "One Perfect Sunrise" on the Album "The Blue Album"
- With Denez Prigent:
- "J'Attends - Gortoz A Ran" with Denez Prigent on the Album "Irvi"
- "An Hini a Garan" with Denez Prigent on the Album "Sara'c"
- "This Mortal Coil" compilation (1984)
Movie Score Composing/Contribution
- Fateless (2005) with Ennio Morricone
- Constantine (movie) (2005) (score incomplete and withdrawn)
- A Thousand Roads (2005) with Jeff Rona
- Layer Cake (2004)
- Salem's Lot (TV mini-series) (2004) with Patrick Cassidy and Christopher Gordon
- Man on Fire (2004) vocals for the Harry Gregson-Williams score
- The Passion of the Christ (2004) with Patrick Cassidy (score withdrawn)
- One Perfect Day (2004)
- Tears of the Sun (2003) with Hans Zimmer
- Whale Rider (2002)
- Ali (2001) with Pieter Bourke
- Black Hawk Down (2001) - Song: "J'Attends - Gortoz A Ran" with Denez Prigent
- Mission: Impossible II (2000) with Hans Zimmer
- Gladiator (2000) with Hans Zimmer
- The Insider (1999) with Pieter Bourke
- The 13th Warrior (1999) with Graeme Revell (score later withdrawn)
- Nadro (1998)
- Heat (1995) featured previously recorded material from The Mirror Pool.
- Baraka, (1992) (as Dead Can Dance, with Michael Stearns)
- El Nino de la Luna (1989) (as Dead Can Dance, also with Lisa Gerrard in her Acting debut)
- Demoni 2 (1986) (as Dead Can Dance)
This content from
Wikipedia is licensed under the
GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia article Lisa Gerrard