Famous Like Me > Actress > P > Sandi Patti
From Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia
Profile of Sandi Patti
on Famous Like Me
|Also Know As:
|Date of Birth:
||12th July 1956
|Place of Birth:
||Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA
Sandi Patty (born July 12, 1956). Known as "The Voice," Patty is a Contemporary Christian music singer, renowned for the breadth of her voice, once called "nuclear powered;" both in terms of range and musical genres, as well as her impeccable musicality and powerful, yet flexible voice.
Patty was born to a minister of music and his wife, the church pianist, in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA. She first performed at the age of two, when she sang "Jesus Loves Me" for her church. A few years later, she and her brothers joined her parents in a performing group, known as "The Ron Patty Family," performing at small churches across the nation. She attended both San Diego State University, and Anderson University in Anderson, Indiana, where she studied voice and conducting.
Patty recorded her first album, For My Friends, an independent effort, that landed in the hands of record executives at Singspiration! In 1979, she was signed to Singspiration! and released her first professional CD, Sandi's Song. A printer's error on the labeling listed her name as Sandi Patti, and used this moniker as her stage name for the next 15 years.
Her career excelled after she won her first two Dove Awards in 1982, and began singing backup for Bill Gaither and the Bill Gaither Trio. She headlined her first national tour in 1984, and reached national acclaim after her rendition of the Star-Spangled Banner was included during the ABC Statue of Liberty rededication broadcast on July 4, 1986. This exposure led to multiple mainstream television appearances including The Tonight Show, Christmas in Washington, and Walt Disney Fourth of July extravaganza.
At the peak of her career, her concerts were so heavily attended that she performed in often sold-out mainstream arenas and concert halls. In the late 80s and early 90s, she averaged over 200 concerts a year, and supported a staff of over 30 that managed her career. She is the most awarded Christian Female Singer in history by the Gospel Music Association and in 2004, was inducted into the Gospel Music Hall of Fame.
Her career stalled in the mid-90s due to personal problems, but she slowly rebuilt her career, expanding her musical appeal by performing pops concerts with symphony orchestras, including the Atlanta Symphony and the Cincinnati Pops.
While studying at Anderson University, Patty married John Helvering, who became her business manager. They divorced in 1992, and it was revealed in 1995 that Patty had an adulterous affair during the marriage. This revelation had a chilling effect on her career and her reputation in the Christian music industry. She has since written a biography that chronicles her rise to stardom and the rebuilding of her career, entitled "Broken on the Back Row."
Patty is currently married to Don Peslis, a former backup singer and the man with whom she committed the affair. She has four children from her marriage with John Helvering. She currently lives in Anderson, Indiana.
- Gospel Music Hall of Fame inductee in 2004
- 39 Dove Awards: 1982 (x2), 1983 (x1), 1984 (x4), 1985 (x4), 1986 (x1), 1987 (x3), 1988 (x3), 1989 (x5), 1990 (x2), 1991 (x3), 1992 (x4), 1994 (x1), 1995 (x1), 1996 (x1), 1998 (x2), 1999 (x2)
- 5 Grammy Awards: 1984, 1986, 1987(x2), 1991
- 4 Billboard Music Awards
- 5 Gold albums (RIAA)
- 3 Platinum albums (RIAA)
- 1978 - For My Friends
- 1979 - Sandi's Song
- 1981 - Love Overflowing
- 1982 - Lift Up the Lord
- 1983 - The Gift Goes On (Christmas)
- 1983 - Live: More Than Wonderful
- 1984 - Songs from the Heart
- 1985 - Hymns Just for You
- 1986 - Morning Like This
- 1988 - Make His Praise Glorious
- 1989 - The Finest Moments
- 1989 - Sandi Patty and The Friendship Company
- 1990 - Another Time, Another Place
- 1991 - The Friendship Company: Open for Business
- 1992 - Hallmark Christmas: Celebrate Christmas!
- 1993 - LeVoyage
- 1994 - Find It On the Wings
- 1996 - Hallmark Christmas: It's Christmas! Sandi Patty & Peabo Bryson
- 1996 - O Holy Night! (Christmas)
- 1996 - An American Songbook
- 1997 - Artist of My Soul
- 1998 - Libertad Me Das (Spanish Language Recording)
- 1999 - Together: Sandi Patty & Kathy Troccoli
- 2000 - These Days
- 2001 - All the Best...Live!
- 2003 - Take Hold of Christ
- 2004 - Hymns of Faith...Songs of Inspiration
- 2005 - Yuletide Joy (Christmas)
This content from
Wikipedia is licensed under the
GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia article Sandi Patti