Famous Like Me > Singer > M > Anne Murray
From Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia
Profile of Anne Murray
on Famous Like Me
|Also Know As:
|Date of Birth:
||20th June 1945
|Place of Birth:
||Springhill, Nova Scotia, Canada
Anne Murray, CC , ONS , LL.D (born Morna Anne Murray June 20, 1945), is a Canadian singer born in Springhill, Nova Scotia, known for her rich alto voice and her taste in choosing songs that appeal to pop, country and adult contemporary listeners alike. For many, her fame as the representative Canadian singer is rivaled only by Gordon Lightfoot.
Her first hit, "Snowbird" (1970), reached the top ten on the US Pop charts, but was a surprise country hit, as well, and a number of her subsequent singles have charted both pop and country simultaneously. During 1970s and early 80s, her hits included "Danny's Song" (1972), "A Love Song" (1973), a remake of the Beatles' "You Won't See Me" (1974), "The Call" (1976), "You Needed Me" (1978), "Shadows in the Moonlight" (1979), a remake of The Monkees' "Daydream Believer" (1979), "Could I have this Dance" (from the movie Urban Cowboy, 1980), "Blessed Are the Believers" (1981), "A Little Good News" (1983), and "Time Don't Run Out on Me" (1985).. Her hits started to taper off into the mid '80s, and her last top 100 charting pop hit was "Now and Forever (You and Me)" from 1986 (also her last country #1-she has 11 #1 country songs in all). Though her singles continued to make the country charts for a few more years, by the early '90s, in the wake of country's neotraditionalist movement, her smooth, polished sound fell out of favor with country radio, as well. She still remains a top concert draw, and performs regularly in the US, Canada, and occasionally in Australia. Though they yielded no chart singles, recent albums, including a 1993 album of standards, "Croonin'", a 1999 collection of quasi-inspirational songs, "What a Wonderful World", and a 2002 album of country standards, "Country Croonin'", have all made the country, pop, and/or adult contemporary charts.
Her albums have sold close to 50 million copies worldwide as of 2004. It is also notable that she was the first Canadian singer to reach #1 on the US charts.
Additional honours include:
- Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1750 Vine Street (1980)
- Companion of the Order of Canada (1984)
- Induction into the Canadian Music Hall of Fame (1993)
- Governor-General's Performing Arts Award (1995)
- Star on Canada's Walk of Fame (1998)
- Induction into the Canadian Country Music Association Hall of Fame (2002)
- Awarded the Order of Nova Scotia (2002)
- As of 2004, has 25 albums that have either gone multi-platinum, platinum or gold in the USA alone
- Winner of 4 Grammy Awards (including 1 in the Pop category), 3 CMA awards, and also has countless Canadian Junos, American Music Awards, etc..
- Her 4 CBS TV specials each reached an estimated 40 million US viewers, and her "Sounds of London" special introduced North American audiences to the girl group "Bananarama".
Murray's song Snowbird may have inspired use of the term "snowbird" to describe Canadians and Americans who spend their winters in warmer climates.
- 1986 at Labbatt Theatre at Expo 86 in Vancouver
- 2005 Canadian Tsunami Relief Concert in Toronto, singing with Bryan Adams
In the movie South Park: Bigger, Longer & Uncut, the Academy Award-nominated song Blame Canada included a line referring to Murray as a "bitch". Reportedly, the producers of that year's Oscar telecast considered omitting the line when it was to be performed along with the other Best Song nominees, however Murray indicated that she got the joke of the song and was not offended by it.
She was the first Canadian female to have a #1 pop single in the United States, with "You Needed Me" in 1978. She was also the first Canadian female to earn a U.S. gold record, for "Snowbird."
Typically, though, largely due to the amount of softer, country-tinged ballads in her repertoire, Murray has had more success on the Adult Contemporary and Country charts in America than on the pop charts. For example, Billboard magazine ranked "I Just Fall In Love Again" as the #1 Country hit of 1979, and it was also one of her eight #1 Adult Contemporary hits (the first was "Snowbird" and the last was "Daydream Believer"), but on the Hot 100 it stalled at #12.
Despite Murray's more successful track record in the Country and Adult Contemporary fields as compared to the pop charts, her only #1 pop hit, "You Needed Me," failed to reach pole position on either the Country (#4) or AC (#3) charts. "You Needed Me" also brought Murray one of her rare appearances on the U.K. pop chart, where it peaked at #22.
Her 1996 album "Anne Murray" was a top 10 album in Canada and spawned the A/C hit "What Would it Take".
In 1998, Anne sang "When I Fall in Love" with Celine Dion on her DVD called "An Intimate Evening With Anne Murray...Live".
Her 1999 album "What a Wonderful World" sold over 1 million copies in the US. It peaked in the US Billboard charts at #4 Country, #38 Pop and #1 Contemporary Christian. Her 2001 album "Country Croonin'" sold over 500,000 copies in the US alone and was a top-ten US country album. She is the most succesful crossover female artist in music history and her span on the US Billboard charts started in 1970 and her latest album (All of Me-2005) went #13 Country and also hit the Billboard 200 at number 66.
- Jerry Seinfeld and Bruce Springsteen were both opening acts for Anne Murray
- John Lennon said that her version of "You Won't See Me" was the best Beatles cover ever.
- Elvis considered Anne as his favourite female singer
- Anne's music is "out of this world": Roberta Bondar, the first Canadian female astronaut, played her songs in space
- She has a flower named after her: "The Anne Murray iris"
- Her album "There's a Hippo in my Tub" has inspired a cartoon series
- Her 1980 hit, "Could I Have this Dance", remains one of the top wedding song requests to this day
- She once had the same manager as Alice Cooper
- Her hometown of Springhill, NS is home to the "Anne Murray Centre" which is a non-profit museum housing her memorabilia. The town was economically depressed and was the site of a great mining disaster when Anne was young.
- George Bush Sr. often quoted from Anne's hit "A Little Good News" and said she was his favourite singer. In addition to George Bush Sr., she has also performed for Queen Elizabeth II, Ronald Reagan and Pierre Eliott Trudeau
- She has duets with Kenny Rogers, Aaron Neville, Dave Loggins, Vince Gill, Glen Campbell, Bryan Adams as well as with her brother Bruce and her daughter Dawn
- Her hit "Snowbird" is one of the most played songs in the history of music with over 4 million spins.
- "You Needed Me" was #1 in Malaysia for 10 weeks.
- In 2000 she published a book "What a Wonderful World' which was a best seller in Canada.
- In 1978, she won the Grammy for best pop vocal, female, beating out Carly Simon, Barbra Streisand, Olivia Newton-John and Donna Summer. She also has 3 Country Grammies.
- The name "Anne Murray" is a registered trade mark.
- There is a lesser-known Ann Murray out there-an irish opera singer
- Anne Murray founded and co-owned BALMUR LTD, a music publishing and management company
- Burt Reynolds called Anne on the phone and had her sing "You Needed Me" to his fiancée.
- Elton John once said: "I know two things about Canada : hockey and Anne Murray".
- Her fans are known as "Anne fans" or "Snowbirders".
- All her albums have been re-released on CD by EMI music Canada under "The Signature Series"
- The week ending 4/28/84, according to Billboard, Anne Murray was the top grossing performer for the week, having grossed $466,844.00 US , ahead of Kenny Rogers, Duran Duran, Culture Club, The Grateful Dead and The Scorpions.
- Like many stars, she has been the victim of a persistent stalker, a farmer from Saskatchewan who has served jail time for his obsession and harrasment
- Anne has recorded one French song ("Si Jamais je te Revois"), one bilingual (The French Waltz), and a Spanish version of "Broken Hearted Me"
- The 1976 Episode of Saturday Night Live in which she appeared with Elliott Gould won an Emmy
Albums on US Billboard charts
(based on sales)
- 1970 Snowbird Country Albums 5 Pop Albums 41 (GOLD)
- 1971 Anne Murray Country Albums 11 Pop Albums 121
- 1971 Talk It Over In The Morning Country Albums 26 Pop Albums 179
- 1972 Anne Murray/Glen Campbell Country Albums 4 Pop Albums 128
- 1972 Annie Country Albums 14 Pop Albums 143
- 1973 Danny's Song Country Albums 4 Pop Albums 39
- 1974 Country Country Albums 6 Pop Albums 32 (GOLD)
- 1974 Love Song Pop Albums 24
- 1975 Highly Prized Possession Country Albums 8 Pop Albums 70
- 1976 Keeping In Touch Country Albums 26 Pop Albums 96
- 1976 Together Country Albums 15 Pop Albums 142
- 1978 Let's Keep It That Way Country Albums 2 Pop Albums 12 (PLATINUM)
- 1979 I'll Always Love You Country Albums 4 (GOLD)
- 1979 New Kind Of Feeling Country Albums 2 Pop Albums 23 (PLATINUM)
- 1980 Anne Murray's Greatest Hits Country Albums 2 Pop Albums 16 (4X PLATINUM)
- 1980 I'll Always Love You Pop Albums 24 (GOLD)
- 1980 Somebody's Waiting Country Albums 15 Pop Albums 88
- 1980 A Country Collection Country Albums 7 Pop Albums 73
- 1981 Where Do You Go When You Dream Country Albums 4 Pop Albums 55 (GOLD)
- 1982 Christmas Wishes Country Albums 34 Pop Albums 54 (GOLD)
- 1982 The Hottest Night Of The Year Pop Albums 90
- 1983 Greatest Hits The Billboard 200 177 (4X PLATINUM)
- 1983 Little Good News The Billboard 200 72 Country Albums 9 (GOLD)
- 1984 Christmas Wishes Top Country Albums 34 (2x PLATINUM)
- 1984 Heart Over Mind The Billboard 200 92 Country Albums 4 (GOLD)
- 1986 Something to Talk About The Billboard 200 68 Country Albums 2 (GOLD)
- 1987 Harmony The Billboard 200 149 Top Country Albums 9
- 1988 As I Am Top Country Albums 29
- 1989 Greatest Hits, Vol. 2 Top Country Albums 32
- 1990 You Will Top Country Albums 47
- 1992 15 of the Best Top Country Albums 62
- 1993 Croonin Top Country Albums 54
- 1998 An Intimate Evening with Anne Murray Top Country Albums 45
- 1999 What a Wonderful World: 26 Inspirational Classics The Billboard pop 200 38 Christian albums 1 Country Albums 4 (PLATINUM)
- 2001 What a Wonderful Christmas The Billboard 200 83 Top Contemporary Christian 4 Top Country Albums 6
- 2002 Country Croonin The Billboard 200 109 Top Country Albums 13 (GOLD)
- 2005 All of Me The Billboard 200 66 Top Country Albums 13
NOTE: The Very Best of Anne Murray (1997) went gold.
Singles on US Billboard charts
- 1970 Snowbird Adult Contemporary 1 Country Singles 10 Pop Singles 8 (GOLD)
- 1971 I Say A Little Prayer/By The Time I Get To Phoenix Country Singles 40 Pop Singles 81
- 1971 Put Your Hand In The Hand Country Singles 67
- 1971 Talk It over in the Morning Adult Contemporary 7 Pop Singles 57
- 1971 Things Country Singles 22
- 1971 A Stranger in My Place Country Singles 27
- 1972 Cotton Jenny Country Singles 11 Pop Singles 71
- 1973 Danny's Song Adult Contemporary 1 Country Singles 10 Pop Singles 7
- 1973 Send A Little Love My Way Country Singles 79 Pop Singles 72
- 1973 What About Me Adult Contemporary 2 Country Singles 20 Pop Singles 64
- 1974 He Thinks I Still Care Country Singles 1
- 1974 Just One Look Pop Singles 86
- 1974 Love Song Adult Contemporary 1 Country Singles 5 Pop Singles 12
- 1974 Son Of A Rotten Gambler Country Singles 5
- 1974 You Won't See Me Adult Contemporary 1 Pop Singles 8
- 1975 Day Tripper Pop Singles 59
- 1975 Sunday Sunrise Country Singles 49 Pop Singles 98
- 1975 A Stranger in My Place Country Singles 79
- 1976 Call Adult Contemporary 6
- 1976 Golden Oldie Country Singles 41
- 1976 Things Pop Singles 89
- 1976 The Call Country Singles 19 Pop Singles 91
- 1977 Sunday School To Broadway Country Singles 57
- 1978 Walk Right Back Country Singles 4
- 1978 You Needed Me Adult Contemporary 3 Country Singles 4
Pop Singles 1 (GOLD)
- 1979 Broken Hearted Me Adult Contemporary 1 Country Singles 1 Pop Singles 12
- 1979 I Just Fall in Love Again Adult Contemporary 1 Country Singles 1 Pop Singles 12
- 1979 Shadows in the Moonlight Adult Contemporary 1 Country Singles 1 Pop Singles 25
- 1980 Could I Have This Dance Adult Contemporary 3 Pop Singles 33
- 1980 Daydream Believer Adult Contemporary 1 Country Singles 3 Pop Singles 12
- 1980 I'm Happy Just To Dance With You Country Singles 23 Pop Singles 64
- 1980 Lucky Me Pop Singles 42 Country Singles 9
- 1981 Blessed Are The Believers Country Singles 1 Pop Singles 34
- 1981 It's All I Can Do Country Singles 9 Pop Singles 53
- 1981 We Don't Have To Hold Out Country Singles 16
- 1982 Another Sleepless Night Adult Contemporary 11 Country Singles 4 Pop Singles 44
- 1982 Hey Baby Adult Contemporary 26 Country Singles 7
- 1982 Somebody's Always Saying Goodbye Adult Contemporary 36
Country Singles 7
- 1983 A Little Good News Adult Contemporary 11 Country Singles 1 Hot Country Singles & Tracks 1 Pop Singles 74 The Billboard Hot 100 88
- 1984 Just Another Woman in Love Adult Contemporary 7 Hot Country Singles & Tracks 1
- 1984 Nobody Loves Me Like You Do Adult Contemporary 10 Country Singles & Tracks 1
- 1984 That's Not the Way (It's S'posed to Be) Adult Contemporary 12 Hot Country Singles & Tracks 46
- 1985 I Don't Think I'm Ready for You Adult Contemporary 30 Hot Country Singles & Tracks 7
- 1985 Time Don't Run Out on Me Adult Contemporary 11 Hot Country Singles & Tracks 2
- 1986 My Life's a Dance Hot Country Singles & Tracks 26
- 1986 Now and Forever (You and Me) Adult Contemporary 7 Hot Country Singles & Tracks 1 The Billboard Hot 100 92
- 1986 On and on Hot Country Singles & Tracks 23
- 1986 Who's Leaving Who Adult Contemporary 26
- 1987 Anyone Can Do the Heartbreak Hot Country Singles & Tracks 27
- 1987 Are You Still in Love With Me Hot Country Singles & Tracks 20
- 1988 Flying on Your Own Hot Country Singles & Tracks 52
- 1988 Slow Passin' Time Hot Country Singles & Tracks 36
- 1989 If I Ever Fall in Love Again Hot Country Singles & Tracks 28
- 1989 Who But You Hot Country Singles & Tracks 55
- 1990 Bluebird Hot Country Singles & Tracks 39
- 1990 Feed This Fire Hot Country Singles & Tracks 5
- 1991 Everyday Hot Country Singles & Tracks 56
- 1974 - Best Country Vocal Performance - Female: Love Song
- 1978 - Best Pop Vocal - Female: You Needed Me
- 1980 - Best Country Vocal Performance - Female: Could I Have This Dance
- 1983 - Best Country Vocal Performance - Female: A Little Good News
This content from
Wikipedia is licensed under the
GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia article Anne Murray