Today's Birthdays

one click shows all of today's celebrity birthdays

Browse All Birthdays

43,625    Actors
27,931    Actresses
4,867    Composers
7,058    Directors
842    Footballers
221    Racing drivers
925    Singers
9,111    Writers

Get FamousLikeMe on your website
One line of code gets FamousLikeMe on your website. Find out more.

Subscribe to Daily updates

Add to Google

privacy policy

Famous Like Me > Footballer > W > Ray Wilkins

Profile of Ray Wilkins on Famous Like Me

Name: Ray Wilkins  
Also Know As:
Date of Birth: 14th September 1956
Place of Birth: Hillingdon, England, UK
Profession: Footballer
From Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia

Raymond Colin Wilkins, (born September 14, 1956 in Hillingdon, Middlesex), was an English football player, and now a highly respected coach.

Early career

The son of an Army footballer, defensive midfielder Wilkins (nicknamed Butch from childhood) made his name in the 1970s with boyhood club Chelsea, whom he joined as an apprentice, progressing to his first team debut against Norwich City in October 1973. He made sporadic further appearances for the rest of that season before establishing himself as a fixture in the side the following year.

In 1975, a 19 year old Wilkins was handed the captaincy of Chelsea, despite the presence of elder and more experienced players in the squad. However, he took to the role well, maintaining it for four years. His brothers Graham and Stephen also joined Chelsea around this time, though did not achieve the same heights in the game as Ray.

Golden era

Wilkins was called up to play for England for the first time in 1976 by coach Don Revie and quickly made his debut against Italy during a mini-tournament in the USA. He was to become a permanent fixture in England squads for a decade to come.

Maligned in some quarters for supposed "negative" play (he was deemed more likely to pass a ball sideways rather than forwards - earning him semi-affectionate nicknames like Squareball Wilkins and The Crab), Wilkins nevertheless became one of his country's most sought-after players and, in August 1979, Chelsea accepted an offer of 800,000 pounds from Manchester United and Wilkins headed north.

His first season was uneventful, with domestic honours continuing to elude him, but he achieved one of his career highs after helping England qualify for the 1980 European Championships in Italy - the first tournament England had reached for a decade.

During a group game against Belgium, Wilkins scored a memorable goal when he lobbed the whole Belgian defence and, in one movement, latched on to the ball (thereby breaching the Belgians obvious offside trap) and delivered a second lob, this time over the head of the goalkeeper and into the net to put England ahead. The Belgians swiftly equalised though, and a disappointing England failed to make progress from their group.

Wilkins remained a fixture for England through a successful campaign to qualify for the 1982 World Cup in Spain, which England exited at the second group stage.

In 1983, Wilkins scored in the FA Cup final for Manchester United to put them 2-1 up against Brighton and Hove Albion. It was a goal of great quality and also some rarity - it had taken Wilkins three years to get his first United goal.

A Brighton attack broke down and the ball reached United midfielder Arnold Muhren just inside his own half. Wilkins made a run to the right to give Muhren an outlet, and was forced to control the Dutchman's pass on his chest after the slippery Wembley surface caused a bad bounce.

Wilkins finally trapped the ball on the right hand side of the area and instinctively (and, some would say, typically) cut inside to look for a square pass across the 18 yard box. No team-mate had matched his run in time (even though Wilkins was a player with a quick brain rather than quick legs) so Wilkins instead curled a left-foot shot of great accuracy into the top corner of the Brighton net. He was so enthralled that he sprinted to the back of the stadium to celebrate with the United fans - something he immediately regretted as it rendered him exhausted for the rest of the game which ended 2-2 after extra-time. He got his winners' medal after a 4-0 victory in the replay.

Over the next season, Wilkins continued to play for England under new coach Bobby Robson but they failed to qualify for the 1984 European Championships. The same summer, United accepted an offer of 1.5 million pounds from Italian giants A.C. Milan. Though Wilkins and his family settled quickly in Italy, it wasn't a successful era for Milan, and Wilkins was allowed to leave in 1987 to join French outfit Paris Saint-Germain.

However, Wilkins was still an England regular and he was chosen for the squad which qualified for the 1986 World Cup in Mexico. He played in the opening defeat against Portugal but didn't last the full 90 minutes in the next group game against Morocco after receiving a red card for the first and only time in his career. In disagreeing with a decision made by the referee, Wilkins threw the ball towards the official - but hit him with it. He was suspended for the next two games and was not reinstated by the time the quarter final against Argentina came round, which England lost 2-1. Wilkins made his 84th and final England appearance in November 1986. He had scored three international goals and had been captain on ten occasions.

On leaving Paris after just four months, Wilkins joined Rangers F.C. for 250,000 pounds and won two Scottish league titles and one Scottish League Cup, as well as scoring memorable goal in an Old Firm derby against Celtic F.C. which Rangers fans continue to talk about.

Next stop for Wilkins was QPR after his family decided that a decade away from London was long enough. Wilkins spent four years with QPR before very briefly joining Crystal Palace. He returned to QPR as player-manager just months after he'd left.

Wilkins left QPR at the start of the 1996/97 after the club was bought by media tycoon Chris Wright following the relegation from the FA Premier League. There followed spells at Wycombe Wanderers, Hibernian, Millwall, and Leyton Orient before he finally retired from playing.

Fulham and beyond

In 1997, Wilkins became the manager of Fulham, with former England teammate Kevin Keegan as "Chief Operating Officer" under him. Wilkins managed to take the big-spending side to the Second Division play-offs, but was sacked by chairman Mohamed Al-Fayed before the first game took place after Fulham lost the last three games of the regular season. Kevin Keegan, who replaced Wilkins, failed in his bid to guide the side through he play-offs that season. The two, once close England team-mates, have had frosty relations since.

After leaving Fulham, Wilkins worked as a coach at Chelsea and Watford as a coach under Gianluca Vialli, on both occasions being sacked along with Vialli (in September 2000 and July 2002 respectively). He spent the next year working mainly as a pundit before joining Millwall as assistant manager to Dennis Wise in October 2003. Wilkins left the club along with Wise in May 2005. He continues to work as a pundit, showing himself to be polite and articulate as well as fiercely knowledgeable.

Wilkins famously provided the voice of the nonplussed pundit ("Super, Ralph") on the ads for the soft drink Tango in the 1990s. The ads were memorable for a large orange man slapping people who were consuming the drink, as if to emphasise the orange flavor. This was later changed from slapping to kissing after complaints from the public. The voice of the over-excited commentator alongside Wilkins was provided by comedian and mimic Hugh Dennis.

Preceded by:
Micky Adams
Fulham F.C. Manager
Succeeded by:
Kevin Keegan

This content from Wikipedia is licensed under the GNU Free Documentation License. It uses material from the Wikipedia article Ray Wilkins