Famous Like Me > Writer > S > Robert Gould Shaw
From Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia
Profile of Robert Gould Shaw
on Famous Like Me
||Robert Gould Shaw
|Also Know As:
|Date of Birth:
||10th October 1837
|Place of Birth:
||Boston, Massachusetts, USA
- This article discusses the actor Robert Shaw. For the individual who is a musical conductor, see Robert Shaw (conductor); for the U.S. Civil War commander, see Robert Gould Shaw.
Robert Shaw (August 9, 1927 - August 28, 1978) was an English stage and film actor and writer.
Born in Westhoughton, Lancashire, England, Robert Shaw's best-known film performances include the henchman Red Grant in the James Bond film From Russia With Love (1963), the relentless Colonel Hessler in Battle of the Bulge (1965), Henry VIII in A Man for All Seasons (1966), Doyle Lonegan in The Sting (1973), and Quint in Jaws (1975). He was recognizable by his major distinguishing feature, a large protruding mole on his left cheek.
Shaw was nominated for the Golden Globe Award and the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role A Man for All Seasons.
Shaw performed on stage in England and on Broadway. He was also an accomplished writer as well as a respected actor, adapting his own novel The Man in the Glass Booth for the stage but asking for his credit to be removed from the filmed version.
He played "the Priest" in the beautifully named A Town Called Bastard (1971).
He was married three times, the second to actress Mary Ure, with whom he had four children.
Robert Shaw died of a heart attack in Tourmakeady, County Mayo, Ireland.
Recently a Wetherspoons pub has been named after him in his home town
- The Lavender Hill Mob (1951) (uncredited) .... Chemist at Police Exhibition.
- Operation Secret (1952) (uncredited) .... Jacques
- The Dam Busters (1954) .... Flight Sgt. J. Pulford
- A Hill in Korea (a.k.a. Hell in Korea) (1956) .... LCpl. Hodge
- Double Cross (1956)
- Man from Tangier (a.k.a. Thunder Over Tangier) (1957) .... Johnny
- Sea Fury (1958) .... Gorman
- Libel (1959) .... Newspaper Photographer
- The Winter's Tale (TV movie) (1961) .... Leontes
- The Valiant (1962) .... Lieutenant Field
- The Caretaker (in USA) a.k.a. The Guest (1963) .... Aston
- From Russia With Love (1963) .... Donald 'Red' Grant
- The Cracksman (1963) .... Moke
- The Luck of Ginger Coffey (1964) .... Ginger Coffey
- Carol for Another Chrismas (TV movie) (1964) .... Ghost of Christmas Future
- Tomorrow at Ten (1964) .... Marlowe
- Hamlet (1964) (TV movie) .... Claudius, King of Denmark
- Battle of the Bulge (1965) .... Col. Martin Hessler
- A Man for All Seasons (1966) .... King Henry VIII
- Custer of the West (1967) .... Gen. George Armstrong Custer
- The Birthday Party (1968) .... Stanley Webber
- Battle of Britain (1969) .... Squadron Leader Skipper
- The Royal Hunt of the Sun (1969) .... Francisco Pizarro
- Figures in a Landscape (1970) .... MacConnachie
- A Town Called Bastard (a.k.a. A Town Called Hell) (1971) .... The Priest
- Young Winston (1972) .... Lord Randolph Churchill
- A Reflection of Fear (a.k.a. Labyrinth) (1973) .... Michael
- The Hireling (1973) .... Steven Ledbetter
- The Sting (1973) .... Doyle Lonnegan
- The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1974) (uncredited) .... The Orale of All Knowledge
- The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974) .... Mr. Blue - Bernard Ryder
- Jaws (1975) .... Quint
- Der Richter und sein Henker (a.k.a. End of the Game, Murder on the Bridge, Deception, and Getting Away with Murder) (1975) .... Richard Gastmann
- Diamonds (a.k.a. Diamond Shaft) (1975) .... Charles/Earl Hodgson
- Robin and Marian (1976) .... Sheriff of Nottingham
- Swashbuckler (a.k.a. Scarlet Buccaneer) (1976) .... Ned Lynch
- Black Sunday (1977) .... Major David Kabokov
- The Deep (1977) .... Romer Treece
- Force 10 From Navarone (1978) .... Major Keith Mallory
- Avalanche Express (1979) .... General Marenkov
- The Caretaker (1962)
- The Physicists(1964)
- The Man in the Glass Booth (1969)
- Gantry (1970)
- Old Times (1972)
- Dance of Death (1974)
- The Hiding Place
- The Sun Doctor
- The Flag
- Situation Hopeless... But Not Serious (1965) (novel)
- The Man in the Glass Booth (1969) ISBN 0140030115
This content from
Wikipedia is licensed under the
GNU Free Documentation License.
It uses material from the Wikipedia article Robert Gould Shaw